Salary: Up to £60k
Perks: Health insurance, 4.5 day week, unlimited holiday policy, annual company retreat
Experience: 3+ years Ruby on Rails
Location: Hybrid – our developers spend 2-3 days a week in our Bath office
Let us introduce ourselves.
Based in the heart of Bath, we’re a multi award winning agency; including a Queen’s Award for Enterprise for Innovation and Tech South West’s Company of The Year 2022. We’re really proud of our commitment to social and environmental responsibility and have been credited with B-Corp certification. We take great pride in striving towards an enjoyable, engaging and challenging workplace and we actively engage in creating a positive work/life balance. Alongside our unmetered holiday policy and 4.5 day working week we arrange regular team socials including an annual team retreat and we offer other perks to support your mental and physical health. Our central Bath office (only a short walk from the train station) is our heart, but we support flexible working arrangements to fit around your life.
If bringing ideas to life is your passion and if working with some amazing startups and scale ups excites you, then this may be the role for you. We are a highly skilled team of 15 who are passionate about web technology and digital products. We’ve always been happily profitable since we launched in 2009 and have the luxury of meeting prospective clients through reputation alone, before choosing which of those clients we most want to work with.
Our development team is made up of 7 talented Rubyists who can be working on long-term projects for one of Storm’s partners, or in an agile fashion across multiple projects. Our client base is very diverse and no two projects are the same.
Have a look around:
- Yuup – A Bristol, Bath and Birmingham based experience curator. In the first three months of their new site going live, their sales tripled.
- Getting Married – Your one stop shop for organising your wedding. The website we built allows couples to build their own website, send invitations, manage RSVPs, table plans, gifting and much more.
- CiteAb – We built the world’s leading search engine and data provider for the life science reagent industry. The technology saves the global Life Science industry over $1bn/year.
- Doctors Without Borders ReMIT – ReMIT is MSF’s Research Management Impact Tool, an open source resource that allows individuals to review, explore and assess the impact of MSF’s research. We maintain the app and deliver regular updates to improve functionality.
- iAM Compliant – A comprehensive online platform providing estate management and compliance support to the nation’s schools.
As a full stack web developer, you’ll be expected to both support existing projects and develop brand new web applications alongside our senior developers. As well as building back-end systems you’ll be collaborating with our design and UX teams, working with front-end code to deliver stunning websites with sprinkles of delightful interactivity.
Our preference is for vanilla Rails monoliths, server-rendered HTML and Stimulus/Hotwire to add interactivity. We favour Postgres databases, Sidekiq for background jobs and ElasticSearch for advanced search. Production deployments tend to be on Heroku or AWS, via CI on Github Actions. These solid foundations remain flexible to enable us to apply our experience with a wide range of APIs, libraries and tools to fit a client’s needs. By aiming for a consistent approach we can quickly deliver value to our clients and concentrate on their unique business requirements.
Progression is an important part of working at Storm, and when you join as a developer you’ll be paired with a mentor who will help your development towards senior developer (if applicable) and beyond. We support our developers to attend conferences, provide a budget for learning materials and encourage participation at local networking events. A culture of internal knowledge sharing helps spread the new tools and best practices from each project throughout the team.
Our developers work closely with our clients and partners, so if you can show us the sort of energy and enthusiasm that we hope you’d show our clients, then you’ll be a great fit.
- Be able to confidently build web applications in Ruby on Rails
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and the ability to quickly learn new tools and technologies, and be keen to share that knowledge with the rest of the team
- Understand how the Internet works, from HTTP, SSL and DNS to load balancers and web servers, through to how browsers fetch and render pages, asset caching and the DOM
- Have a strong knowledge of SQL databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL) and be able to write efficient queries to solve complex problems
- Be quick to grasp concepts. We work with an eclectic mix of startups and established businesses from a variety of backgrounds and industries. Being able to quickly understand and appreciate a client’s needs is critical
- Have excellent written and spoken English, be able to communicate complex issues to non-technical colleagues and be confident talking directly to clients
It would be great if you had
- A university degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related subject
- Examples of websites you have had a leading role in creating
- Experience working with cloud hosting infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Heroku, Digital Ocean)
- 4.5 day week (for a full salary) – we don’t work Friday afternoons
- Unlimited holiday policy
- A MacBook Pro (+ second display) and an assortment of other Apple goodies
- Flexible working
- Opportunities to attend relevant events and conferences, as well as other training
- Annual company team retreat
- A variety of team social events
- Health insurance and cash allowances for every-day medical expenses and mental wellbeing sessions
- Regular team lunches
Does this sound like you?
To apply, send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com.
Please provide code examples from current work. If you’re unable to do so, please explain why.
Storm are committed to considering diversity, equality and inclusion in our recruitment process.
No agencies / recruiters please.