Salary: Up to £25-30k pa based on experience
Job Type: Full time role
We are always on the lookout for awesome junior developers to join our team. We don’t currently have a set vacancy open, but if the following job description makes your ears prick and you love the sound of working at Storm then we’d equally love to hear from you.
If bringing ideas to life is your passion and if working with some amazing startups and scale ups excites you, then this may be the role for you. We are a highly skilled team of 14 who are passionate about web technology and digital products. We’ve always been happily profitable since we launched 12 years ago and have the luxury of meeting prospective clients through reputation alone, before choosing which of those clients we most want to work with.
Our team is made up of four senior and four junior Rubyists who work on a long-term projects for one of Storm’s partners, or in an agile fashion across multiple projects. Day-to-day you could be helping couples to Tie the Knot with the UK’s leading wedding website & planning company, helping to save the global Life Science industry over $1bn/year working on a world leading search engine and data provider, providing online compliance support to the nation’s schools and small businesses or even changing the future of computer game press & publicity – or working on a brand new startup!
As a full stack web developer, you’ll be expected to both support existing projects and develop brand new web applications alongside our senior developers. As well as building back-end systems you’ll be collaborating with our design and UX teams, working with front-end code.
Our developers work closely with our clients and partners, so if you can show us the sort of energy and enthusiasm that we hope you’d show our clients, then you’ll be a great fit.
We’ve won and been nominated for multiple Best Place to Work awards and take great pride in striving towards an enjoyable, engaging and challenging workplace. We actively engage in creating a positive work/life balance. Alongside our unmetered holiday policy and 4.5 day working week we arrange regular team socials including an annual team retreat. We also offer health insurance, cash allowances for every-day medical expenses and mental wellbeing sessions. We also make sure you have access to the best equipment available to carry out your work and are currently awaiting assessment for Bcorp certification.
Our central Bath office (only a short walk from the train station) is our heart, but we support flexible working arrangements to fit around your life.
- Be able to confidently program in a relevant language (e.g. Ruby, PHP, Python), ideally having worked with an MVC web framework
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and the ability to quickly pick up Ruby on Rails if that is not your current language / framework of choice
- Have a knowledge of SQL databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL)
- Be quick to grasp concepts. We work with an eclectic mix of startup and established businesses from a variety of backgrounds and industries. Being able to quickly understand and appreciate a client’s needs is critical
- Have excellent written and spoken English
- Be confident in your ability to speak directly with clients.
It would be great if you had
- Either a year or more in industry, or side-project/placement experience
- A university degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related subject
- Examples of websites you have had a leading role in creating.
- Highly competitive salary
- 4.5 day week (for a full salary) – we don’t work Friday afternoons
- Unlimited holiday policy
- A MacBook pro (+ second display) and an assortment of other Apple goodies
- Flexible working
- Opportunities to attend relevant events and conferences, as well as other training
- Annual company team retreat
- A variety of team social events.
Please note, this job role will start fully remote due to COVID-19, however in the future it is expected that you’ll be able to work from our office in central Bath at least part-time. We’re not accepting applications for fully-remote working.
Does this sound like you?
To apply, send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide code examples from current work. If you’re unable to do so, please explain why.
Storm are committed to considering diversity, equality and inclusion in our recruitment process.
No agencies / recruiters please.
This Job role has been filled. We are no longer accepting applications.